Octagon Rooms

The Brand Ambassador / Influencer Dilemma

Posted on: July 25th, 2016 by The Moderator 8 Comments

Toyosi: You can tell where all the followers are from?

Tayo: Everyone has their worth or has a sense of what they think they are worth. You won’t pay IamKanmi more than what he requests because he is a better fit. Sometimes I don’t even tell them the brand involved till last minute so their throats don’t suddenly get long. If you have 100k followers and you don’t have an average of 10‰ likes or comments on your Instagram page for example, it doesn’t ‘wek’ for me. For me, the influencers engagement rate is key even when I want awareness because fake followers.

Bayo: Value is your numbers both on and offline

Wale: you sign up Don jazzy for a campaign for which you need engagement and he says he can only tweet once a day, should you pay him more than kanmi who will go out for your brand?

Bayo: I have a client who is popping on IG but is not known on her street. Whither is the value? For me, the influencers engagement rate is key even when I want awareness because fake followers!

Wale: We seem to be stuck on the digital side because it’s easy to measure. Anyone want to take on the headache of traditional media?

Eddie: That’s the part nobody wants to accept.  Traditional media is a dying platform.

Tayo: @Eddie I don’t think it’s dying, I think it has not evolved in Nigeria

Toks: We’re now skewing too much towards only digital marketing. That’s where you can get somewhat reliable data. Sadly, offline, where data is equally as important, getting real stats is still near impossible

The Octagon:  Hi guys we will be ending this session in 4 mins. Cam we share any last thoughts?

Bayo: I think the bottom line is get people who are willing and able to work on both ends of the table. Banky has worked for Samsung and Ciroc. He understands what he’s needed for.Olamide has worked for Etisalat. He makes great pop tunes.

Toyosi: I’d say celebrities over plain (said respectfully) social media influencers for traditional media. Put Tiwa on a billboard overlooking third mainland.

Toks: I think my biggest takeaway here is “fit”. Brand owners and managers need to understand what their goals and targets are and find the ambassador with the best fit and not do things just cos they worked for their competitors.

The Octagon: Thank you so much for being a part of this conversation. This has been truly insightful. We will definitely like to have everyone back in other rooms in the future.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses

1. Man! My brain wants to blow up! As a small business owner, I think a CEO is supposed to understand every single aspect of his business, from profit/loss statements to how many satchets of Omo it takes to mop his office floor. And my mind has been opened up to the inner workings of digital marketing (crucially)in a Nigerian context.
    Good one, guys!

2. Adeyemi says:

Hello house, you guys put up a great conversation filled with fantastic insights. My take away includes brand fit and be careful of copying strategy. It seems people don’t want to do the hard work. Asking some clients deep questions as to why a customer should buy what they sell make them feel somehow. No market research done, no customer insight. But you are to strategize and sell.
    Guess you guys could help answer this question someday: as a digital marketer, how do I sell product I don’t know to people I don’t know?

• Eddie Madaki says:

Hello Adeyemi.

The answers to your questions are actually embedded in your comment, research and market analysis. To complete a sale, your product must fill a need to your target market . So complete understanding of said product is key, next your communications / marketing strategy must appeal to your target market on an emotional level , convincing them off your value preposition, here is where in depth market research comes in. Identify creative ways to over come potential cultural , religious, socio-behavioural trends with that community or target demographic that may impede your campaign. This you can achieve by running your marketing strategies through focus groups, A/B testing as referenced in our discourse, using locally recognised and respected personalities to introduce your offerings etc. Most importantly monitor feedback and modify your sales strategy as need be. Marketing is quite organic so it’s important to make small changes along the way to make for a more persuasive product pitch. Understand the product and position for worst case responses to how it’s recieved, research your target market and communicate values over generic advertising and mentions. Hope this helps.

3. Klaze says:

Highly informative and I really like the tone of conversations here but then if i may lend my thoughts on Bayo’s rhetorical question on women buying pampers because of Tiwa or Pepsi because of wizkid I would like to share my personal opinion concerning that, ..umm I stand to be corrected but I believe there are women that actually buy pampers because of tiwa savage or at least have renewed confidence in the brands ability to upgrade and keep up with younger and new generation motherhood, sure it myt not be the average mother and I know there are better and more trendy brands than pampers now but then with Tiwa’s image reckoning with the brand I believe it also gives it if not an edge at least an equilibrium with newer brands and helps create the impression that pampers is not old school yet (or should i use the word obsolete) its still trendy .. “Tiwas uses it” trust me mild variables like dis reflect on sales even if its 10 or 15% higher than it woud have been if they dint make effort to connect with younger generations, as for Pepsi, there was a time when i would not be caught dead with pepsi or any of their brand in public due to the stereotype on it being a substandard version of coca cola, Wizkid’s affiliation might not necessarily make me a Pepsi regular (Of course my favourite sodas still remain Cocacola and sprite) but at least am not shy anymore about associating with the brand and of course when faced with the choice of purchasing Pepsi at an event or an outdoor party i would do so and even stroll around with the brand in hand.. so yes in my personal opinion the choices on brand ambassadors for both pampers and pepsi respectively were not misguided i believe they actually influence sales on both product, but then what do i know, Y’all are the pros and of course ” I stand to be corrected.”
    But I really appreciate this platform theres so much to learn here and the interactive set up just makes it so interesting Lol ‘Regards

4. Bunni says:

#PersonalExperience

I’ve once bought Loya Milk because of Don Jazzy.

Iyen tu nko?

5. San Weaven says:

I sincerely enjoy this platform, but,there are every limited people that are aware of this type of platform.

6. Gidyon Thompson says:

I really appreciate your effort in engaging thought leaders in solving basic market, economic and social political issues .

As part of my final year project is to research on the relationship between brand endorsement by celebrities and patronage. Truth be told, what may have worked for company A maynot work for company B. We know that people model their behaviors based on role models and thats the hinge of using brand ambassadors for a brand. But the real sense is, can you effectively transfer the clout of a particular ambassador into real customers for your brand?
    It goes beyond advertising! That’s the big question.

7. Subomi says:

Whatever advertising strategies are put in place need to align with brand essence and appeal to the emotions of the target market. In Nigeria today, it just seems the norm to sign up a popular face as a brand ambassador whether or not the individual in question depicts what the brand stands for “the bandwagon effect”.

If you must have an ambassador, then it needs to be tactically done; some brands have done this successfully while some see it as a jamboree and just have a clutter. when done right, it would positively influence the perception of the consumers.